Professor Ian Ramsay is the Harold Ford Professor of Commercial Law at Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne, where he is Director of the Centre for Corporate Law and Securities Regulation.
He has practised law with firms in New York and Sydney and is a member of the:
- Commonwealth Government’s Corporations and Markets Advisory Committee
- Companies Auditors and Liquidators Disciplinary Board
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission External Advisory Panel and
- Corporations Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia.
Former positions Professor Ramsay has held include:
- Dean, Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne
- Head of the Federal Government inquiry on auditor independence
- Member of the Takeovers Panel,
- Member of the Audit Quality Review Board
- Member of the Law Committee of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member of the International Federation of Accountants taskforce on rebuilding confidence in financial reporting,
- Consultant to the Parliament of Australia House of Representatives Standing Committee on Economics, Finance and Public Administration
- Visiting Professor at The University of Paris, The University of Toronto and The University of Hong Kong.
Professor Ramsay has published extensively on corporate law and corporate governance issues both internationally and in Australia.