Studied Jurisprudence at the Universities of Heidelberg and Cambridge as well as Economics at Open University in Hagen.
- 1992 Dipl.-Ökonom (degree in economics)
- 1993 First State Examinations and 1995 Second State Examinations in Law
- 1998: Dr. iur. urt. (Juris Doctor), 2002: Dr. iur. habil. (Postdoc), both at the University of Heidelberg.
- Professor of Law at University of Muenster (since 2003)
- Director of the Institute for Business, Labour and Social Law (2003-2009)
- Director of the Institute of Company Law and Law of Capital Markets (since 2009)
- Head of the Postgraduate-Program “Real Estate Law” (since 2006)
- Call to University of Mainz (2009) and University of Bonn (2012), both rejected.
- Member and Principal Investor of “Religion and Politics” – Cluster of Excellence at the University of Muenster with a Project on Islamic Finance (since 2009)
- Visiting Professor at University of Cambridge – Corpus Christi College (2007)
- Deakin University, Melbourne (2011). Co-Editor of Journal of Banking Law and Banking (since 2006) and the German Law Journal (since 2001)
- Member of the Study Group Financial Regulation at the Ministry of Finance, Berlin (since 2012)